Thursday, January 12, 2017

New Vegan thought for the day

"Do you know why most survivors of the Holocaust are vegan? It's because they know what it's like to be treated like an animal. " ~ Chuck Palahniuk

My life was forever changed when I took a class in graduate school where Holocaust survivors sat down with us and told us their stories.

Upon hearing their stories, like most people, I felt strongly that my problems and heartache were nothing compared to those of Holocaust survivors. 

And yet, what struck me was how often the survivors said that after they publicly tell their stories  audience members seek them out afterwards and say, "You described what it's like to be treated like an animal, worse than an animal and I understand in some small way." And usually the audience member would share their story of abuse, rape, incest, etc.

And when I happened upon the above quote by Chuck Palahniuk, I was struck again. And again, my problems and heartaches seem trivial to those who are truly suffering.

No comments:

Post a Comment