Wednesday, January 4, 2017

2017 Should be Interesting

I've never been much of a meat eater. Never saw the appeal. I stopped eating red meat  and pork as a child. And then throughout my adulthood, I ate less and less meat  with the exception of fish every few months. Until this past summer. I tried to eat salmon after not eating any fish for several months and my body said, "Are you kidding me?" But I didn't believe it. Thought it was a one time thing. So I had to tempt fate and try again. Suffice to say, I lost all my digestive enzymes.  So my body decided I am a vegetarian. Cool. I also happen to love animals - all animals - so it feels good to not contribute to their suffering.

Incidentally, I live in an area where people are straight up addicted to meat. Dear friends and family members talk endlessly about meat and have so many questions for me about my diet. I am, without a doubt, the only vegetarian they knew.

Interestingly,  I could care less what other people eat (well I care but I don't see them changing) and I never ask anyone about their diet. But so many people are fascinated with what I eat that I know I'm in the vast minority - in more ways than one.

Well, things are really about to get interesting because I'm going vegan. Why? Because I love animals and want to do something to make this world a better place.  It's as simple and complex as that.

And I know that so many people in my life (and maybe even people I don't know) will have questions about how a person navigates veganism and that's why I started this blog. If people are truly interested in learning more, they can read my blog or vegan blogs.

Sure, I'm aware that some people ask a lot of questions about lifestyle choices because they feel threatened and are acting out in a passive aggressive way. And for those folks, no blog in the world will help.

Don't have a clue of what I'm talking about? Then treat yourself to this Slate Article and make sure you read every single comment. Then you will understand what it's like to live in a world where people are ugly towards anything that's different or threatening to them and will go to lengths to justify sabotaging other's. 

Also, I would like to humbly add that I'm new to this and will be learning along the way. That's why I am calling myself a Vegan in Training. We are a couple of days into 2017 and so far, so good. I've only screwed up twice and forgot I don't eat cheese anymore. 


Betty Goes Vegan arrived at my doorstep today. It seems so fitting that I read and use this cookbook considering I literally wrote the book on Betty Crocker. 

If you are going vegan please let me know! 







No comments:

Post a Comment